Chief Financial Officer & Director of Operations
🌐 Division: Office of the Chief Executive Officer (CEO)
📅 Employment Status: 0.8 EFT, 2-year contract
💼 Classification Level: Executive role, salary negotiable
📍 Location: University of Melbourne, Parkville
🗓️ Start Date: December 2023
UMSU – Where Passion Meets Purpose
With a living history that extends over 130 years, The University of Melbourne Student Union Inc (UMSU) is not just an organisation – it's a vibrant hub where creativity, diversity, and social justice intertwine to offer students of the University of Melbourne an enriching campus experience. We're the voice and heart of the student community, constantly buzzing with activities, events, and initiatives that make campus life unforgettable!
As a non-profit organisation run by students, for students, we keep the arts, representation, advocacy, live music, and cultural services alive on campus.
UMSU enables students to get more out of their time at the University. We provide opportunities for students to immerse themselves in a wealth of cultural facilities and events, whilst having access to quality support services. At its heart UMSU is committed to ensuring students have advocacy and representation on campus – ensuring student voices are heard while making students’ time at the University fun and enjoyable.
As the CFO & Director of Operations, you will be a key player in steering UMSU's financial and operational course. This role offers a unique blend of managing finances, overseeing operations, and contributing to strategic decision-making. You'll be collaborating closely with the CEO, President, and General Secretary, playing a pivotal role in shaping UMSU's future.
Core Responsibilities of Your Role
- Oversee financial operations and strategies, ensuring UMSU's financial health and sustainability.
- Lead the management of business operations, focusing on compliance, risk management, and strategic planning.
- Champion the governance process, providing secretariat support to the General Secretary and Students’ Council.
- Foster relationships across the University and with external partners, enhancing UMSU's reach and impact.
Your Expertise (Need to Have)
- A degree in accounting, business, or finance, and professional membership of relevant body, such as ICA or CPA .
- Significant high-level experience in financial management and operations.
- A strong passion for business modelling, analysis, and forecasting, ideally in a not-for-profit or membership organisation.
- Senior experience in budget planning and execution, adept at managing complex environments and multiple stakeholders.
- Excellent time management skills, attention to detail, and a calm, supportive approach to facilitating student-led activities.
Bonus Points (Nice to Have)
- A great sense of humour and experience in a university environment.
- Significant experience in a non-profit organisation at a senior or executive level.
Why Join the UMSU Leadership Team?
This role is more than just numbers and operations – it's about making a real difference in the lives of students. At UMSU, your contributions will directly enhance student experiences, creating a thriving, inclusive, and dynamic community. You'll be part of an organisation that values diversity, creativity, and the power of student voices.
Ready to Make an Impact?
If you're passionate about contributing to the vibrant student community at the University of Melbourne and have the skills to lead our financial and operational endeavours, we'd love to hear from you! The position description can be found here.
Applications for this position close 5pm Friday 1 December 2023 and should be addressed to email@example.com
Interviews will commence as soon as we start receiving relevant resumes. Applications should include:
- a cover letter addressing the key selection criteria
- Applications which fail to address the key selection criteria will not be considered.
All applicants require:
- a valid Employee Working with Children Check or should be willing to get one
- verification of unrestricted work rights in Australia-citizenship, passport, or birth certificate or Visa grant letter.
If you have any queries or wish to have a confidential discussion about this role, please feel free to reach out to Sara Pheasant, CEO. You can contact Sara via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or on mobile at 0466 544 784.
If at any stage of the recruitment and selection process you require an alternative format to the application material or reasonable adjustment to the interview arrangements, please contact us at email@example.com
UMSU reserves the right to withdraw an advertised position at any stage.
At UMSU, we celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all. We strongly encourage applications from First Nations people, women, people with disabilities, and those from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds.
UMSU is proud to acknowledge the Wurundjeri people as the Traditional Owners and Custodians of the land on which we work, and pay respects to Indigenous Elders past, present, and emerging. Sovereignty has never been ceded. It always was and always will be, Aboriginal land.