Expression of Interest for Performers
Nora: A Doll’s House – a radical new version by Stef Smith, after Henrik Ibsen
Presented by Union House Theatre
Directed by UHT’s Artistic Director Xanthe Beesley and Liv Satchell.
Get creative and make lifelong friends whilst being part of this fantastic production.
About the show:
Nora is the perfect wife and mother. She is dutiful, beautiful and everything is always in its right place. But when a secret from her past comes back to haunt her, her life rapidly unravels. Over the course of three days, Nora must fight to protect herself and her family or risk losing everything.
Henrik Ibsen’s brutal portrayal of womanhood caused outrage when it was first performed in 1879. This bold new version reframes the drama in three different time periods. The fight for women’s suffrage, the Swinging Sixties and the modern-day intertwine in this urgent, poetic play that asks ‘how far have we really come in the past hundred years?’
About the process:
Xanthe Beesley and Liv Satchell co-direct this new adaptation in a brave and innovative way, using lots of movement and contemporary theatre processes to create a large ensemble-based work. After a week-long intensive, rehearsals are part-time (including Saturdays and evenings) in the lead up to a busy production week and performances. The production will be cast from those who participate in the intensive.
This is an exciting and much-awaited chance to get involved in theatre on campus, try something new, discover different ways of creating theatre and meet a great community of like-minded friends.
Here’s what you need to do to get involved:
- Confirm you understand rehearsal and performance dates (see below)
- Fill out THIS SHORT FORM by Tues 13th July at midday.
- Come to the week-long rehearsal intensive 20 – 24 July (Tues – Sat)
- During the intensive, we’ll talk with everyone about roles, rehearsal requirements and dates
Please read before you fill out the form:
- Everyone is welcome
- No previous experience of theatre is required
- There are opportunities for people who love speaking roles and movement roles
- This production is planned to be an on-campus experience. If you are outside of Melbourne, we will have a fantastic program of online events linked to NORA that are designed just for you!
- If you cannot commit to the dates, but would still like to participate in the weeklong intensive, you can – you just need to let us know this when you fill out the form
- There will be opportunities for backstage roles as well
- Involvement is free
Rehearsals for Nora are on at the following times:
Week-long intensive Tue 20 July – Sat 24 July, 10am–3pm
Rehearsals start Wednesday 28 July
- Wednesdays 4pm–7pm
- Thursday nights 5:30–8.30pm
- Saturdays 10:30am–5pm
(Please note these times are indicative only and may change slightly)
Nora technical rehearsals and performance dates:
To be in the cast, you need to be available for these dates:
- Production week: Tuesday 21 Sept – Friday 24 Sept (some afternoons and all evenings)
- Previews: Saturday 25 September (afternoon and evening)
- Season Dates: Tuesday 28 Sept – Saturday 2 Oct (evenings)
The technical rehearsals take place during the mid-sem break, performances are during Week 9.
A schedule with more specific times will be discussed during the intensive.
If you have any questions, please email email@example.com
Technical and Front of House Positions
University of Melbourne Student Union (UMSU) is seeking experienced casual theatre staff to assist within the Union and Guild Theatres in Union House. There are two roles that we are recruiting, to join a small team of technicians and front of house support staff.
We are looking for keen, enthusiastic and reliable people with experience or interest in theatre production, available to work weekdays, evenings and weekends throughout the year. Previous skills and technical qualifications or experience are desirable, but should not discourage interested people from applying.
The hours of work per week will vary each week and will depend on the requirements of the Theatres and at times seasonal in alignment with the Student Semester. Indicative hours will be between 4 and 16 hours per week.
The position descriptions are available here:
Technical Position Description
Front of House Position Description
This position attracts a casual base rate of $29.58 per hour plus applicable penalty rates.
To become part of this driven and passionate team environment, send your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications close 27th June.
Interviews for the positions will be conducted in late June / early July 2021.
Induction and training will be commencing in July 2021.
Please note: Only successful candidates meeting the desirable skills will be contacted.
Union House Theatre is looking to engage two recent graduates from our community to work as Peer Mentors on our upcoming production of Nora: A Doll’s House. If you loved your time at UHT and want to instil that passion in other people, read on!
Together with UHT’s Artistic Director, Peer Mentors will be responsible for the development and implementation of initiatives to inspire student engagement in the UHT community. They are also attached to the production team for Nora: A Doll’s House and share the responsibility for mentorship of student cast members and creatives.
- a recent alumnus in our community (around the last 5 years)
- an ‘ideas person’ and love making things happen
- self-motivated and easy to work with
- energetic and willing to inspire new students
- have good availability between July and October, including out-of-hours and weekends
Please send a *concise* one-page letter including the following:
Info about you: tell us when you graduated, what you loved about the UHT community, how you engaged in theatre activities during your time at Uni and how this transformed you and helped you grow.
Some ideas: to get a taste for the way you think, please provide a couple of brief examples of activities you might run or could help to facilitate which support new students to engage in theatre on campus.
Your availability: what’s your schedule like? when are you free during July through to October and are you available to attend a selection of Saturday or evening rehearsals (Wed/Thur) throughout Semester 2?
Remuneration = $35 per hour with an estimated time commitment of 30 hours across the project.
Where Government Restrictions allow, this work will be delivered in person.
Please include your email address and phone number plus any other relevant information you feel you’d like to share.
Send to UHT Artistic Director, Xanthe Beesley email@example.com
Deadline: 5pm Wednesday 23rd of June 2021
Feature Films & Documentaries
- Zack Snyder’s Justice League – 810 SNY
- Pixie – 820 THO
- Ammonite – 820 LEE
- A Friendly Tale – 840 COH
- Minari – 810 CHU
- Nomadland – 810 ZHA
- Days of the Bagnold Summer – 820 BIR
- Violet Evergarden: Eternity and the Auto Memory Doll – 895.6 VIO
- Oliver Sacks: His Own Life – 616.80092 BUR
- How to be a Good Wife – 840 PRO
- All My Life – 810 MEY
- Ottolenghi and the Cakes of Versailles – 641.5 OTT
- Ip Man: Kung Fu Master – 895.1 LI
- Diva – 840 BEI
- A Friendly Tale – 840 COH
- Promising Young Woman – 820 FEN
- Penguin Bloom – A820 IVI
- The Whistleblower – 895.1 XUE
- Another Round – 839.8 VIN
- Synchronic 810 BEN
- Doctor Who: Revolution of the Daleks – 820 DOC
- The Pembrokeshire Murders – 820 EVA
Feature Films & Documentaries
- Rosie – 820 BRE
- Wonder Woman 1984 – 810 JEN
- The Lodge – 830 FRA
- The Croods: A New Age – 810 CRA
- Wendy – 810 ZEI
- The Wild Goose Lake – 985.1 DIA
- The Secret Garden – 820 MUN
- Happiest Season – 810 DUV
- Radioactive – 895.1 SAT
- The Witches – 810 ZEM
- The War With Grandpa – 810 HIL
- Weathering With You – 895.6 SHI
- Dirt Music – A820 JOR
- Little Women – 810 GER
- Babyteeth – A820 MUR
- Children of the Sea – 895.6 WAT
- Lucky Grandma – 810 SEA
- Superintelligence – 810 FAL
- Honey Boy – 810 HAR
- Soul – 810 DOC
- Dragon Rider – 810 ESH
- For Sama – 956.91 ALK
- Rams – A820 SIM
- 8 ½ – 850 FEL
- The Dry – A820 CON
- The Booksellers – 002.075 YOU
- The Cook, The Thief, His Wife and Her Lover – 820 GRE
- My Brilliant Friend S2 – 850 COS