Who is Amnesty International?
Amnesty International is a worldwide movement of people campaigning to protect human rights.
What are human rights?
Human rights are the basic freedoms and protections that people are entitled to simply because they are human beings. To take a look at the UNDHR visit: http://www.un.org/en/documents/udhr/index.shtml
We meet weekly to write letters for a whole range of Amnesty International campaigns.
- To take action to prevent abuses of human rights: political, social, cultural, civil and economic (through letter writing and events).
- To promote awareness about Amnesty International’s campaigns and about human rights abuses.
- To educate interested students about current global rights issues.
- To give students an avenue to stand up for something they fell strongly about in a safe environment, surrounded by positive, supportive community.
- To create a community of like-minded people and therefore have ongoing discussions and take actions on human rights.
1st floor Union House
University of Melbourne VIC 3010