Jewish Students Society
Melbourne University Jewish Students’ Society (MUJSS) was established in 1906, making it the oldest Jewish Student representative body in the country. For the past 110 years we’ve been providing Jews and non-Jews alike with fantastic food and even better friends. It’s lunches like Bagels and dips, Falafel and hummus, and other feasts which have caused students to proclaim that MUJSS provides the best lunches on campus.
We are also committed to improving the quality of student life on campus and thus also run events celebrating Jewish festivals, such as Pesach and Yom Haatsmaut.
MUJSS can also provide help and support to students who feel discriminated against on campus or are in need of special consideration as a result of their religious needs.
Jewish Students Society
First Floor, Union House
University of Melbourne VIC 3010
- To provide active support for the continued survival and wellbeing of the State of Israel, through the promotion of Aliyah and educational tours to Israel, through resolute campaigns to explain Israel’s case to students of the University of Melbourne and the wider community, and through steadfast solidarity with the people of Israel.
- To provide national and international representations of Melbourne University Jewish students.
- To be open to a complete spectrum of Jewish student opinion.
- To further the knowledge and appreciation of Judaism.
- To promote the study of Jewish culture generally and the knowledge of the Hebrew language and literature.
- To encourage Jewish learning and to make available information pertaining to Jewish education through summer programs, seminars, camps, lectures and publications.
- To work for the strengthening of the Jewish State of Israel and to increase the ties between the Jewish communities in Israel and the Diaspora.
- To actively promote the rights of freedom of thought, expression, actions and association for the Jews who are oppressed in various countries throughout the world.
- To liaise with any organisation which is concerned to promote the interests of students in general.
- To promote the principles and the activities of both AUJS and the World Union of Jewish Students.
- To promote the AUJS Israel programs including the AUJS Leadership Development Program (LDP) and other summer programs organised and/or offered by AUJS.
- To raise funds and to do all such things as the club may think incidental or conducive to their attainment, provided that such activities do not interfere with similar activities conducted either by UMSU or by AUJS.
- To adopt the Jerusalem Programme, which states the aims of Zionism:
- The unity of the Jewish people and the centrality of Israel in Jewish life.
- The ingathering of the Jewish people in its historic homeland, Eretz Yisrael, through Aliyah from all lands.
- The strengthening of the State of Israel, founded on prophetic ideals of justice and peace.
- The preservation of the identity of the Jewish people through the fostering of Jewish and Hebrew education and of Jewish spiritual and cultural values.
- The protection of Jewish rights everywhere.
- To assist and represent Jewish students on campus as required to be consistent with provision 8., including but not limited to matters of anti-Semitism and academic bias.