Communications & Media Officer – Fixed Term (leave replacement)
- Assist in the development, implementation and evaluation of communications and marketing strategies and guidelines for UMSU
- Help with the promotion of major events including Orientation
- Make students’ time at the University fun and enjoyable
With a living history that extends over 130 years, at the University of Melbourne Student Union (UMSU) we are committed to providing quality experiences on campus that create a community for students, staff and visitors from a wide variety of backgrounds and experiences.
As a non-profit organisation run by students, for students, we keep the arts, representation, advocacy, live music and cultural services alive on campus and improve students’ time at the University.
UMSU is about enabling students to get more out of their time at the University. We provide the platforms for students to immerse themselves in a wealth of cultural facilities and events, whilst having access to quality support services. It’s about making sure that students have advocacy and representation on campus. It’s all about the battle to keep student voices in the big picture whilst making students’ time at the University fun and enjoyable.
ABOUT THE ROLE
The Communications and Media Officer is a key member of UMSU Team and provides promotional support and expertise to UMSU Staff, students, and the broader University community. Working with UMSU staff and elected student representatives, and operating under the Communications and Marketing department, this position is accountable for both the creation and the implementation of organisation-wide marketing and communications strategies that endeavour to engage students with the Student Union and its various departments and services. This role reports to the Manager, Communications and Marketing.
Your Key Accountabilities will include:
- Communications and marketing strategies
- Publications, print and digital
- Media relations
- Audiovisual material
- Events support
- Research and analysis
For further information regarding the Key Accountabilities, please refer to the position description.
To succeed in this position, you will possess relevant qualifications in journalism, arts, social science, research or a related discipline, coupled with significant experience in communications, preferably to the student demographic; or a relevant combination of skills knowledge and/or training.
Essential to your success will be your proven track record in contribute to the development, planning and implementation Communications & Marketing strategies and guidelines, including copy writing, media liaison, research and project work, with a demonstrated ability to organise and prioritise the project workload to meet deadlines and work within budget.
You are a creative professional with independent judgement and initiative, along with the ability to identify and highlight ongoing and emerging issues for the student population as appropriate. Yourinterpersonal and relationship building skills include the ability to communicate ideas effectively to different stakeholders, enabling students to get more out of their time at the University.
To view the position description, please click here.
In return we offer:
- An eclectic workplace culture and flexible approach to our work;
- True life/work balance – check out our benefits which include a 35 hour working week, 5 weeks leave, leave loading 17.5% and 10.5% superannuation (pro rata); and
- Access to professional development opportunities tailored to you and your career path
NOTE – This is a full time (35 hours per week), fixed term position until August 2019.
HOW TO APPLY
Applications for this position close 9am Monday 28 May 2018 and should be addressed to email@example.com.
Applications should include:
- a covering letter addressing all the key selection criteria
- curriculum vitae
- contact details of three (3) referees
All applicants require:
- a valid Employee Working with Children Check
- verification of unrestricted work rights in Australia, for example, citizenship, passport or birth certificate
- certified copies of qualifications
UMSU reserves the right to withdraw an advertised position at any stage.