Coordinator, Communications & Marketing
- Develop, implement and evaluate communications and marketing strategies to reach a diverse student audience
- 12 months fixed-term position in a unique environment
- Drive the promotional strategy of major events including Orientation
- Make students’ time at the University fun and enjoyable
With a living history that extends over 130 years, the University of Melbourne Student Union (UMSU) is committed to providing quality experiences on campus that create a community for students, staff and visitors from a wide variety of backgrounds.
As a non-profit organisation run by students, for students, we keep the arts, representation, advocacy, live music and cultural services alive on campus and improve students’ time at the University of Melbourne.
UMSU is about enabling and empowering students to get more out of their time atuniversity. We provide the platforms for students to immerse themselves in a wealth of cultural facilities and events, whilst having access to quality support services. It’s about making sure that students have advocacy and representation on campus. It’s all about the battle to keep student voices in the big picture whilst making students’ time at the University fun and enjoyable.
ABOUT THE ROLE
The Coordinator, Communications and Marketing is a key member of the UMSU team, providing promotional support and expertise to UMSU’s staff and elected student representatives. This position oversees a small team and is accountable for both the creation and the implementation of organisation-wide marketing and communications strategies that endeavour to engage students with their student union, its various departments and its services. This role reports to the Manager, Communications and Marketing.
Your Key Accountabilities will include:
- Communications and marketing strategies
- Editorial support for publications, both print and digital
- Media relations
- Social media management and publishing
- Events support
- Research and analysis
- Resource and staffing management
For further information regarding the Key Accountabilities, please refer to the position description.
To succeed in this position, you will possess relevant qualifications in journalism, arts, social science, research or a related discipline, coupled with significant experience in communications and/or marketing, preferably to the student demographic; or a relevant combination of skills knowledge and/or training.
You are a creative professional with independent judgement and initiative, along with the ability to identify and highlight ongoing and emerging issues for the student population as appropriate. You will be comfortable with high-level strategic planning, as well as rolling up your sleeves to direct and publish content that taps into timely events at the University and relevant narratives in the wider community.
Your wealth of experience means that you’re confident as a mentor and able to provide effective onboarding and training to direct reports, UMSU staff and student representatives.
Your interpersonal and relationship-building skills include the ability to communicate ideas effectively to different stakeholders, enabling students to get more out of their time at the University.
Essential to your success will be your proven track record in contributing to the development, planning and implementation communications and marketing strategies and guidelines, including copy writing, media liaising, research and project work, with a demonstrated ability to organise and prioritise the project workload to meet deadlines and work within budget.
In return we offer:
- An eclectic workplace culture and flexible approach to our work;
- True life/work balance – check out our benefits which include a 35 hour working week, 5 weeks leave, leave loading 17.5% and 12% superannuation (pro rata); and
- Access to professional development opportunities tailored to you and your career path
NOTE – This is a full time (35 hours per week), fixed term position until August 2019.
HOW TO APPLY
Applicants are required to provide a written application addressing the Selection Criteria as outlined in the position description, and should submit their application no later than 9am Monday 28 May 2019 and should be addressed to email address
Applications should also include:
- a covering letter
- curriculum vitae
- contact details of three (3) referees
All applicants require:
- a valid Employee Working with Children Check
- verification of unrestricted work rights in Australia, for example, citizenship, passport or birth certificate
- certified copies of qualifications
UMSU reserves the right to withdraw an advertised position at any stage.
At UMSU we value diversity, embrace difference and nurture a connected, safe and respectful community. UMSU is a proud member of the Australian Network for Disability. We strongly encourage applications from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and people of all cultures, abilities, sex and genders.