COORDINATOR, COMMUMNICATIONS & MARKETING
A fantastic opportunity exists to join a small team of talented communications specialists working to create relevant promotional material for the University of Melbourne Student Union. We’re a tight-knit team with a values-driven culture. We love what we do, the diverse and inclusive departments we do it for – and the team we do it with!
- Provide direction and support to Develop, implement and evaluate communications and marketing strategies to reach a diverse student audience
- Manage the workflow of the department as a whole, balancing the needs of the team so that projects move through the department in an efficient and appropriate way, allowing everyone to do their best work.
- Manage all resource platforms, including Basecamp, Microsoft teams and Wiki.
- Schedule internal meetings relating to development and production, briefings, reviews and presentation run-throughs.
- Identify any resource or staff issues and thoughtfully problem solve.
- Continuously look for ways that the department can run more efficiently and peacefully as workloads increase and team skills develop.
- Full time position
With a living history that extends over 130 years, at the University of Melbourne Student Union (UMSU) we are committed to providing quality experiences on campus that create a community for students from a wide variety of backgrounds and experiences.
As a non-profit organisation run by students, for students, we keep the arts, representation, advocacy, live music and cultural services alive on campus. We provide the platforms for students to immerse themselves in a wealth of cultural facilities and events, whilst having access to quality support services. It’s about making sure that students have advocacy and representation on campus. And it’s all about the battle to keep student voices in the big picture whilst making students’ time at the University fun and enjoyable.
ABOUT THE DIVISION
The Communications, Marketing & Events Division works closely with Student Representatives, staff and Volunteer Program Directors to enable them to foster a genuine connection with the student population across a variety of different media, activities and events. Working collaboratively, the Division provides expert advice and support to key stakeholders in the conception, creation, design and implementation of departmental and organisation-wide marketing and communications strategies and events that seek to engage students with UMSU.
ABOUT THE DEPARTMENT
Within the Communications, Marketing and Events Division, the Communications and Marketing Department communicates to students the full range of activities and functions that UMSU offers, and ensures these activities are accurately and professionally promoted and portrayed in all channels including:
- media statements;
- feature articles;
- social media; and
ABOUT THE TEAM
The Communications team is made up of a Communications Officer, Communications student Intern and Social Media student Intern, who take pride in their ability to creatively communicate campaigns, activities and services from a diverse range of internal stakeholders. The team loves sharing and chatting about anything food, meme and pop culture related.
The team is looking for a supervisor and team member who can clearly communicate and collaborate in a transparent workflow –in a safe and trusting work environment. The team works best when underpinned with a sense of play to allow experimentation and discovery of new ways to deliver above and beyond expectations.
The team also know how to buckle down and work hard on delivering in peak times, and appreciate the same effort and commitment from a supervisor. Having a good work ethic and sense of humour during peak delivery will definitely be helpful attributes!
ABOUT THE ROLE
The Coordinator, Communications and Marketing is a key member of the UMSU team, providing promotional support and expertise to UMSU’s staff and elected student representatives. This position oversees a small team and is accountable for both the creation and the implementation of organisation-wide marketing and communications strategies that endeavour to engage students with their student union, its various departments and its services. This role reports to the Manager, Communications, Marketing & Events.
Your Key Accountabilities will include:
- Communications and marketing strategies
- Editorial support for publications, both print and digital
- Media relations
- Social media management and publishing
- Research and analysis
- Resource and staffing management
- Survey development and analysis
To succeed in this position, you will possess relevant qualifications in journalism, arts, social science, research or a related discipline, coupled with significant experience in communications and/or marketing, preferably to the student demographic; or a relevant combination of skills knowledge and/or training.
You are a creative professional with independent judgement and initiative, along with the ability to identify and highlight ongoing and emerging issues for the student population as appropriate. You will be comfortable with high-level strategic planning, as well as rolling up your sleeves to direct and publish content that taps into timely events at the University and relevant narratives in the wider community.
Your wealth of experience means that you’re confident as a mentor and able to provide effective onboarding and training to direct reports, UMSU staff and student representatives.
Your interpersonal and relationship-building skills include the ability to communicate ideas effectively to different stakeholders, enabling students to get more out of their time at the University.
Essential to your success will be your proven track record in contributing to the development, planning and implementation communications and marketing strategies and guidelines, including copy writing, media liaising, research and project work, with a demonstrated ability to organise and prioritise the project workload to meet deadlines and work within budget.
You have values consistent to the organisation that supports your work to deliver inclusive, sensitive and appropriate communications for a range of departments within UMSU to a diverse and socially aware audience. You have a working knowledge of accessibility, social inclusion and union principles that form the basis of your approach to and delivery of communications materials aimed at empowering a predominantly youth audience.
Essential skills include:
- Experience in campaign delivery
- Highly developed organisational skills with strong attention to detail
- Working knowledge of social issues, access and inclusion practices
- Strong experience in compassionate management of people and teams
- Proficiency in survey development and analysis
To view the position description, please go to our website: https://umsu.unimelb.edu.au/jobs/
Click here to view the full position description: Communications and Marketing Coordinator — FT, Position Description
In return we offer:
- An eclectic, ethical workplace culture and flexible approach to our work;
- True life/work balance – check out our benefits which include a 35 hour working week, 5 weeks leave, leave loading 17.5% and 12% superannuation; and
- Access to professional development opportunities tailored to you and your career path
This is a full time (35 hours per week).
HOW TO APPLY
Please familiarise yourself with our organisation via our website and social media platforms to assist and inform your application. Applications for this position close 9am Friday 7th August and should be addressed to Naomi Fennell HR Manager at email@example.com
Applications should include:
- a covering letter addressing all the key selection criteria
- curriculum vitae including recent campaign work that you were fully responsible for
- contact details of three (3) referees
All applicants require:
- a valid Employee Working with Children Check
- verification of unrestricted work rights in Australia, for example, citizenship, passport or birth certificate
- certified copies of qualifications
UMSU reserves the right to withdraw an advertised position at any stage.