A fantastic opportunity to join a small team of talented designers working to create eye-catching and relevant promotional material for the University of Melbourne Student Union. We’re a tight-knit team with a closely guarded culture. We love what we do, the UMSU departments we do it for – and particularly the team we do it with – so we treat every hire with great care.
- Provide creative direction and support and identify innovative design solutions across a range of design marketing materials for UMSU
- Management of the workflow of the department as a whole, balancing the needs of the creative team so that projects move through the department in an efficient and appropriate way, allowing everyone to do their best work.
- Manage all resource platforms, including Basecamp, Microsoft teams and Intranet.
- Schedule internal meetings relating to creative development and production, briefings, creative reviews and presentation run-throughs.
- Identify any resource or staff issues and thoughtfully problem solve.
- Continuously look for ways that the department can run more efficiently and peacefully as workloads increase and team skills develop.
- Full time position
With a living history that extends over 130 years, at the University of Melbourne Student Union (UMSU) we are committed to providing quality experiences on campus that create a community for students from a wide variety of backgrounds and experiences.
As a non-profit organisation run by students, for students, we keep the arts, representation, advocacy, live music and cultural services alive on campus. We provide the platforms for students to immerse themselves in a wealth of cultural facilities and events, whilst having access to quality support services. It’s about making sure that students have advocacy and representation on campus. And it’s all about the battle to keep student voices in the big picture whilst making students’ time at the University fun and enjoyable.
ABOUT THE DIVISION
The Communications, Marketing & Events Division works closely with Student Representatives, staff and Volunteer Program Directors to enable them to foster a genuine connection with the student population across a variety of different media, activities and events. Working collaboratively, the Division provides expert advice and support to key stakeholders in the conception, creation, design and implementation of departmental and organisation-wide marketing and communications strategies and events that seek to engage students with UMSU.
ABOUT THE DEPARTMENT
Within the Communications, Marketing and Events Division, the Design Department develops and executes creative design solutions across a broad range of marketing print and digital channels to maximise UMSU’s profile with students and reinforce brand positioning.
ABOUT THE TEAM
The design team is made up of two talented and competent designers who take pride in their ability to creatively meet design challenges from a diverse range of internal stakeholders whilst still making it UMSU’d. The team loves sharing and chatting about anything arts, music and film related. Also animals – THEY LOVE CATS!
The team is looking for a supervisor and team member who respects the creative process – open and clear conversations, collaborative and fun ideation sessions, transparent workflow – all in a safe and trusting work environment. The team works best when underpinned with a sense of play to allow experimentation and discovery of new ways to deliver above and beyond expectations.
The team also know how to buckle down and work hard on delivering in peak times and appreciate the same effort and commitment from a supervisor. Having a good work ethic and sense of humour during peak delivery will definitely be helpful attributes!
ABOUT THE ROLE
The Coordinator, Design coordinates the internal design service to develop and deliver marketing collateral for events, online assets and print publications for UMSU staff and student representatives. The position is responsible for ensuring consistent use of brand in accordance with organisational marketing strategies to enhance UMSU’s profile and increase audience engagement. This is a full time role (35 hours per week).
To succeed in this position, you are a self-aware individual who possesses relevant qualifications in graphic design, publishing or a related discipline, coupled with significant demonstrable experience in leading and working within a creative team to develop finished design for print and digital marketing campaigns.
Essential to your success will be your proven track record in working collaboratively with key stakeholders to execute consolidated and integrated design campaigns that are consistent and relevant, with the ability to organise and prioritise the project workload to meet deadlines and work within budget.
You are a creative professional with independent judgement and initiative, along with the ability to identify, highlight and communicate ongoing and emerging issues. Your interpersonal and relationship building skills include the ability to verbally and visually communicate ideas effectively within the team, division and across the organisation.
You have values consistent to the organisation that supports your work to deliver inclusive, sensitive and appropriate visual communications for a range of departments within UMSU to a diverse and socially aware audience. You have a working knowledge of accessibility, social inclusion and union principles that form the basis of your approach to and delivery of design materials aimed at empowering a predominantly youth audience.
Essential skills include:
- Experience in a creative environment
- Have a solid understanding of creative development and production processes
- Highly developed organisational skills with strong attention to detail
- Working knowledge of social issues, access and inclusion practices
- Strong experience in compassionate management of people and teams
- Proficiency in online briefing and workflow systems
Click here to view the full position description: Design Coordinator — FT, Position Description
In return we offer:
- An eclectic, ethical workplace culture and flexible approach to our work;
- True life/work balance – check out our benefits which include a 35 hour working week, 5 weeks leave, leave loading 17.5% and 12% superannuation (pro rata); and
- Access to professional development opportunities tailored to you and your career path
HOW TO APPLY
Please familiarise yourself with our organisation via our website and social media platforms to assist and inform your application. Applications for this position close 9am Tuesday 4th August and should be addressed to Naomi Fennell at email@example.com
Applications should include:
- a covering letter addressing all the key selection criteria
- curriculum vitae including recent design work that you were fully responsible for
- contact details of three (3) referees
- ability to meet with the design team
All applicants require:
- a valid Employee Working with Children Check
- verification of unrestricted work rights in Australia, for example, citizenship, passport or birth certificate
- certified copies of qualifications
UMSU reserves the right to withdraw an advertised position at any stage.