Manager, Human Resources
A fantastic opportunity exists to join the University of Melbourne Student Union (UMSU) in this HR management role reporting to the CEO. UMSU is the recognised student representative body for all students at the University of Melbourne. We provide a diverse and inclusive environment.
- Management level position
- Full time role (35 hours per week)
- Exceptional benefits
With a living history that extends over 130 years, at the University of Melbourne Student Union (UMSU) we are committed to providing quality experiences on campus that create a community for students from a wide variety of backgrounds and experiences.
As a non-profit organisation run by students, for students, we keep the arts, representation, advocacy, live music and cultural services alive on campus. We provide the platforms for students to immerse themselves in a wealth of cultural facilities and events, whilst having access to quality support services. It’s about making sure that students have advocacy and representation on campus. And it’s all about the battle to keep student voices in the big picture whilst making students’ time at the University fun and enjoyable.
ABOUT THE DIVISION
The Office of the Chief Executive Officer (the Division) provides professional and administrative support to the Chief Executive Officer. Within the Division, Human Resources Staff provide leadership in relation to the development, implementation, and continuous improvement of human resource management across the full employee lifecycle to enable the effective operation of UMSU.
ABOUT THE ROLE
The Manager, Human Resources (HR) is responsible for the development, and management of the Human Resources function of UMSU, including OHS, and is responsible for delivering outcomes that enable the most effective and efficient management of its staff. Specifically, this position is expected to lead the delivery of HR business services, and to execute HR initiatives that support the full employee lifecycle and the needs of the organisation.
The incumbent will assume ownership and responsibility for the development and review of HR policies and procedures including those that have a broader organisational impact on UMSU volunteers, and elected student representatives. The incumbent will work closely with a variety of UMSU departments to ensure that UMSU Human Resources policies and procedure are relevant, up to date, safe, and aligned with UMSU’s objectives.
In addition, the Manager HR will provide strategic advice, operational support, and coaching to UMSU staff and management in relation to people issues.
The incumbent will also assume a key advisory role, providing the Chief Executive Officer with advice in relation to:
- Industrial and Employee Relations, including the development of employee and industrial relations strategies and in involvement in collective bargaining negotiations;
- Policy and Procedure to support HR operations;
- The management of a critical stakeholder relationship with the University with policy and procedure relevant to support the activities of elected student representatives and UMSU Volunteers;
- The development, assessment, and implementation of administrative procedures to support UMSU’s Human Resources function;
- Fostering an organisational culture that recognises staff achievement, promotes staff attraction and retention delivers enhanced workforce capabilities, leadership, and culture; and,
- Workforce and succession planning.
To succeed in this position, you will have significant experience in a senior human resources role, preferably as a senior business partner or HR Manager within an education, student organisation or not for profit environment; combined with relevant qualifications.
You are a true HR generalist with experience in managing the entire employee lifecycle. You will be comfortable with high-level strategic planning, as well as rolling up your sleeves to be hands on with the administrative aspects that are required. Your wealth of experience means that you’re confident as a mentor and able to provide effective onboarding and training to UMSU staff and student representatives.
Your interpersonal and relationship-building skills include the ability to advise and support different stakeholders across the organisation.
Essential to your success will be your proven track record in policy and procedure development, budgeting, OH&S, performance management, understanding legislative requirements and Enterprise Bargaining.
You have values consistent with the organisation and a working knowledge of accessibility and social inclusion that form the basis of your approach to stakeholder engagement.
Essential skills include:
- Postgraduate in Human Resource Management or Industrial Relations and extensive experience in a Human Resources leadership role;
- Demonstrated capacity to provide strategic advice in relation to Human Resources and Employee Relations matters;
- Broad knowledge of statutory and award obligations of employers, particularly in relation to employment law and OHS;
- Excellent planning, organisational and analytical skills;
- Demonstrated ability to communicate, verbally and in writing, effectively and empathetically with all levels of staff;
- Demonstrated ability to implement change
View the full position description here.
In return we offer:
- An eclectic, ethical workplace culture and flexible approach to our work;
- Salary base of $107,737
- True life/work balance – check out our benefits which include a 35 hour working week, 5 weeks leave, leave loading 17.5% and 12% superannuation; and
- Access to professional development opportunities tailored to you and your career path
This is a full time position (35 hours per week).
HOW TO APPLY
Please familiarise yourself with our organisation via our website and social media platforms to assist and inform your application. Applications for this position close 5pm Sunday 17th October and should be addressed to Naomi Fennell HR Manager at email@example.com
Applications should include:
- a covering letter addressing all the key selection criteria
- curriculum vitae including recent campaign work that you were fully responsible for
- contact details of three (3) referees
All applicants require:
- a valid Employee Working with Children Check
- verification of unrestricted work rights in Australia, for example, citizenship, passport or birth certificate
- certified copies of qualifications
UMSU reserves the right to withdraw an advertised position at any stage.