How to Affiliate a Club
2020 Applications are closed – from Week 0 2021, download the Application form here or pick one up in Union House.
Note that all future dates are subject to change as the University Calendar may change due to Covid-19 policies. Dates updated April 8.
Reasons to start a club are vast and varied; it may be as simple as contributing to the University community, meeting like-minded people or to receive funding from UMSU for events. Some of the benefits of affiliation to UMSU include:
- representation and support from the UMSU C&S department
- financial grants
- free or discounted use of UMSU and University facilities and resources
- participation in the UMSU C&S promotional expos
- discounted training in Safe Food Handling and Responsible Service of Alcohol
- public liability insurance cover
The club affiliation process is straightforward and you can always contact the Clubs & Societies Office for help. Here’s a summary:
Step 1: Application and initial approval
“How to Affiliate a Club” form is due by 4:30 pm Friday Week 3
Semester 1 2020: Friday March 20 / Semester 2 2020: Friday August 21
- Collect the application form from Union House or download it (linked above) and complete all sections, including finding 50 students to sign the Expressions of Interest form.
- Expressions of Interest are only accepted if they are complete records (including the email address) and are signed by the individuals.
- Submit it to the C&S Office by the deadline.
- In Weeks 4 & 5 the C&S Committee considers all new club applications and you will be advised of the outcome.
- Grounds for rejecting the application can be found in in Regulation 4.1.2: C&S Regulations – Amended 05.10.2018.
Step 2: Writing the club constitution
Constitution draft must be approved by C&S staff by 4.30 pm Friday Week 7
Semester 1 2020: Friday May 1/Semester 2 2020: Friday September 18
- You will be invited to meet with C&S staff to draft the constitution in Week 6 or 7.
- You will use the Standard Constitution (C&S Regulation Appendix 1) and the club Name and Aims that were previously approved by the C&S Committee.
- In exceptional circumstances the C&S Officer may allow a non-standard constitution that is consistent with the provisions of the Standard Constitution and C&S Regulation 5.1.1.
Step 3: Inaugural General Meeting (IGM)
Compulsory IGM information session on Tuesday Week 8 1-2 pm
Semester 1 2020: Tuesday May 12 / Semester 2 2020: Tuesday September 22
IGM must be held by 7 pm Friday Week 12
Semester 1 2020: Friday June 5 / Semester 2 2020: Friday October 30
- One or more of the Contacts must attend the information session.
- After attending the session you will sign up members and organise the IGM.
- The IGM must be called with consultation with the C&S Office as a representative of C&S must attend the IGM to conduct the elections.
- Meeting Papers must be submitted to C&S within 2 weeks of the IGM date using a checklist and templates provided by C&S.
Step 4: Affiliation
- The C&S Coordinator will review the papers and make a recommendation to the C&S Committee at their next meeting.
- The C&S Committee will formally affiliate or deny affiliation to your club and you will be advised of the outcome.
- If affiliated you will be invited to collect an information pack from the C&S Office and all the rights and responsibilities of affiliation apply immediately. You will be required to open club bank account and establish club email account within 2 weeks of Affiliation.
- If you are denied affiliation you will be advised of the reason. If there is time to reconvene the IGM in the academic year the group may try again.