Nora Performer Callout
Expression of Interest for Performers
Nora: A Doll’s House – a radical new version by Stef Smith, after Henrik Ibsen
Presented by Union House Theatre
Directed by UHT’s Artistic Director Xanthe Beesley and Liv Satchell.
Get creative and make lifelong friends whilst being part of this fantastic production.
About the show:
Nora is the perfect wife and mother. She is dutiful, beautiful and everything is always in its right place. But when a secret from her past comes back to haunt her, her life rapidly unravels. Over the course of three days, Nora must fight to protect herself and her family or risk losing everything.
Henrik Ibsen’s brutal portrayal of womanhood caused outrage when it was first performed in 1879. This bold new version reframes the drama in three different time periods. The fight for women’s suffrage, the Swinging Sixties and the modern-day intertwine in this urgent, poetic play that asks ‘how far have we really come in the past hundred years?’
About the process:
Xanthe Beesley and Liv Satchell co-direct this new adaptation in a brave and innovative way, using lots of movement and contemporary theatre processes to create a large ensemble-based work. After a week-long intensive, rehearsals are part-time (including Saturdays and evenings) in the lead up to a busy production week and performances. The production will be cast from those who participate in the intensive.
This is an exciting and much-awaited chance to get involved in theatre on campus, try something new, discover different ways of creating theatre and meet a great community of like-minded friends.
Here’s what you need to do to get involved:
- Confirm you understand rehearsal and performance dates (see below)
- Fill out THIS SHORT FORM by Tues 13th July at midday.
- Come to the week-long rehearsal intensive 20 – 24 July (Tues – Sat)
- During the intensive, we’ll talk with everyone about roles, rehearsal requirements and dates
Please read before you fill out the form:
- Everyone is welcome
- No previous experience of theatre is required
- There are opportunities for people who love speaking roles and movement roles
- This production is planned to be an on-campus experience. If you are outside of Melbourne, we will have a fantastic program of online events linked to NORA that are designed just for you!
- If you cannot commit to the dates, but would still like to participate in the weeklong intensive, you can – you just need to let us know this when you fill out the form
- There will be opportunities for backstage roles as well
- Involvement is free
Rehearsals for Nora are on at the following times:
Week-long intensive Tue 20 July – Sat 24 July, 10am–3pm
Rehearsals start Wednesday 28 July
- Wednesdays 4pm–7pm
- Thursday nights 5:30–8.30pm
- Saturdays 10:30am–5pm
(Please note these times are indicative only and may change slightly)
Nora technical rehearsals and performance dates:
To be in the cast, you need to be available for these dates:
- Production week: Tuesday 21 Sept – Friday 24 Sept (some afternoons and all evenings)
- Previews: Saturday 25 September (afternoon and evening)
- Season Dates: Tuesday 28 Sept – Saturday 2 Oct (evenings)
The technical rehearsals take place during the mid-sem break, performances are during Week 9.
A schedule with more specific times will be discussed during the intensive.
If you have any questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org