The Robert McDonald Award – Applications Open
The award commemorates the former Education Manager at the MTC. Robert was a dedicated member of the Theatre Board of Melbourne University for many years and a huge supporter of student theatre.
The Robert McDonald Award offers an outstanding student theatre maker the opportunity to work intensively at Melbourne Theatre Company. You’ll gain exposure to most aspects of the operation of a large state theatre company. The prize includes a double subscription to MTC’s annual season, a volunteer placement on the MTC Education production, and meetings with creative artists and staff at MTC to discuss theatre practice.
This award is for a student producer, stage manager or director who has demonstrated outstanding ability and commitment through their involvement in student theatre at Melbourne University. The Theatre Board acknowledges the potential of this student to develop a career path in the professional theatre industry.
MTC ‘s 2022 education production is the world premiere of SLAP. BANG. KISS. by Dan Giovannoni. Director: Katy Maudlin
14-18 Feb 2022: Creative Development at MTC HQ. 10am-6pm
21 Mar – 8 Apr 2022: Rehearsals at MTC HQ, 10am-6pm
11 Apr – 19 Apr 2022: Technical rehearsals and previews, Southbank Theatre the Lawler
There is no obligation on the award-winner to attend all or even a majority of rehearsals; they should make the experience work for them.
Eligibility: All applicants must be (or have been) a current Uni Melb student during 2021.
The student selected for this award will:
- have a serious and professional approach to their theatre practice
- be theatre-savvy, quick to learn, and able to work independently
- demonstrate maturity and leadership skills
- have well-developed communication skills, both written and verbal
- be willing to learn by watching and listening, as well as by doing
- be flexible – understanding the ‘bigger picture’ of the needs of the production
- be a team player who is happy to help out with the unglamorous jobs
Closing Date: Friday 12th November at midday
To apply, please fill out this FORM