George Paton Gallery – Writing Project
An opportunity for students to write a text for an exhibition at the George Paton Gallery in Semester Two, 2017. Each student will be paired with one exhibition, and meet with the artist/s and/or curator/s to exchange and discuss ideas. This dialogue will form the basis of a text that accompanies the exhibition in the George Paton Gallery, also available online.
Each student will be mentored by Alice Mathieu (Arts Project Officer – UMSU) in the development of their exhibition text, receiving 2-3 rounds of editing and conceptual feedback. They will also receive a $50.00 writer’s fee, and in-kind printing support.
- Meet with exhibiting artist/s or curator/s in person to discuss their practice and exhibition
- Identify relevant theme/s and idea/s and develop a text from this basis
- Write a 500 – 1000 word text to accompany their chosen exhibition. This could take the form of a conventional catalogue essay, artist interview, creative non-fiction or fiction piece – the choice is up to you!
To apply, please email:
- A short writing sample (up to 500 words) or link to current writing online
- Short description of the exhibition you would like to write about, and why (up to 200 words). Visit https://umsu.unimelb.edu.au/studentlife/gallery/upcoming-exhibitions/ for more information about the program next semester (please acknowledge the timing of exhibitions and your availability)
- Current CV
Please send applications to:
Deadline is Monday 17th July 2017, 5pm, where you will find out within 48 hours if you have been successful. (Note, the first writing assignment needs to be ready prior to 2nd August 2017).