VENUE & EQUIPMENT HIRE
2021 Venue Update: We are not currently taking bookings for the venues.
If you would like to be updated about when we will reopen, please fill in the form below.
We look forward to working with you soon,
The UHT team
Please note: Student Theatre Groups affiliated with Union House Theatre are given priority booking within the University of Melbourne Semester periods. Venue allocation for first semester occurs in October for the following year, while second semester allocation occurs in April of the current year.
A trained theatre worker is allocated as safety officer for each theatre. This worker is there to assist in the smooth setup and running of a production. At an additional fee, production assistance, vision, lighting or sound operators can also be provided.
The Union Theatre is a proscenium arch style venue with a large stage, house curtain, fly tower and refurbished auditorium with 374 seats and 7 wheelchair positions.
Location: ground floor, Union House, University of Melbourne, Parkville
The Union Theatre’s acoustics are sympathetic to untrained voices and the stage is not raked, making this a popular venue for student and amateur performances including musicals and dance shows. The theatre’s deep fore-stage and audio visual facilities also make it ideal for corporate and conference presentations. Backstage, lighting, control and equipment are of a professional standard.
The Guild Theatre is a wheelchair accessible black-box studio style theatre seating up to 100 people.
Location: level 1, Union House, University of Melbourne, Parkville (next to the Union House Theatre Office)
The venues flat-floor stage (not raised) allows for flexible seating and staging configurations. Well equipped in the areas of lighting and sound, the Guild Theatre is suitable for performance productions, seminars and small conferences at very reasonable rates.
Venue Hire Charges and Terms
For further venue enquiries after completing the Venue Enquiry Form please contact:
p: 8344 6961 | e: email@example.com
➡2021 Conditions of Hire External – coming soon
➡External Hirers 2021 – Rates and Charges – coming soon
➡PDF Union Theatre Venue Specifications
➡XLS Union Theatre Sound, Stage and Lighting Plans
➡PDF Union Theatre Seating Plan
➡PDF Guild Theatre Venue Specifications
➡XLS Guild Theatre Sound, Stage and Lighting Plans
Theatre Equipment Hire
We run a small equipment hire service aimed at student and fringe theatre hirers.
For equipment hire enquiries please contact:
p: 8344 3624 | e: firstname.lastname@example.org
We prefer a week’s notice to quote and prepare your hire. Short notice hires can only be accommodated if staff are available.
- Hire collection/return between 10am and 5pm Monday to Friday.
- Hire contracts will be signed and issued when the hire is collected and an invoice sent to the hirer once equipment is returned.
- We do not provide transport for equipment hire.
- Hire collection is via the Union Theatre loading bay on Union Rd:
- Access to loading bay is via Gate 1 Tin Alley (cnr Elgin/Swanston St)
- Proceed 100m to the Union Road bollard gate on the left
- Press intercom button and say “Union Theatre Loading Bay”
- The bollard will be lowered, wait for the green light to proceed
- The Union Theatre Loading Bay is 20m on the right – strict 60 minute time limit.
- A deposit may be required for non-Melbourne University Students.