Union House Theatre’s Rehearsal Room Policy
Room 304 and the Open Stage in 757 Swanston Street will re-open from Friday 18/6
The Des Connor rehearsal space will be re-open from Monday 21/6
Who can book a rehearsal space?
- UHT affiliated Student Theatre Groups*
- UMSU affiliated Clubs and Societies
- University of Melbourne students
* For details about how to affiliate see: Student Theatre Group Affiliation.
Priority of Bookings
- Union House Theatre
- UHT Affiliated Student Theatre Groups
- UMSU affiliated Clubs and Societies for the purpose of arts-related activities (dance, theatre etc)
- University of Melbourne students. Examples of use might be: piano practice, monologue rehearsal, dance practice.
Affiliated Student Theatre Groups and UMSU affiliated Clubs and Societies can book a space up to four weeks ahead for a maximum of 3 sessions per week.
Individual students can book a space up to one week ahead for a maximum of 1 session per week.
All bookings have a maximum of 4 hours.
All bookings come under the Covidsafe Rehearsal Room Standard Operating Procedure and the UMSU Covid Safe Plan.
There will be regular spot checks conducted.
Any groups found to be not following Covidsafe procedures will forfeit the ability to book rehearsal spaces, effective immediately.
- No food or drink (except bottled water) is allowed.
- No tap shoes or stiletto heels as they damage the parquetry floor.
- As well as adhering to the Covidsafe Rehearsal Room Standard Operating Procedure, we request that all users leave the room tidy after use. Failure to do so can result in a ban on all future bookings.
- Please let us know if you find the room untidy
- The pianos are currently covered and are not available for use.
- You will need to bring your own portable bluetooth speaker if you require music.
- Entry to Building 757 is via the Swanston St entrance only – you will need to swipe in with your student card. If you have trouble accessing a room, call security on 8344 6666 or services on 8344 0888 and quote the booking numbers FCR0178617, FCR0178618 and FCR0185527.
Room bookings are taken in good faith but may be subject to change. We endeavour to notify you by phone, 24 hours in advance if a booking has to be altered or cancelled.
Rehearsal rooms may not be used for commercial purposes. This means groups cannot charge their members for participation in classes. If this is discovered to be happening the group will be banned from all future bookings. Under no circumstances is the rehearsal room to be used to promote any external companies.
To access rehearsal spaces on the Resource Booker system you will first need to register using your University student username:
Once your registration has been processed, you will be able to login with your University student username and password:
If you require assistance finding an accessible space or making a booking, contact Erin at:
firstname.lastname@example.org or 8344 6975
See below for specific room accessibility notes.
Des Connor Room (capacity 20 people)
The Des Connor Room (top image) is a rehearsal room situated above the Union Theatre in Union House. The entrance is outside Union House, on the concrete lawn side (East side). Enter the double white doors and take the stairs to the top (pictured above).
The Des Connor Room is decently sized (6m x 13m), has a mirrored wall, parquetry floor suitable for dance and a piano. The studio is available to University of Melbourne students at no charge for rehearsals, readings and auditions.
We regret that there is no lift access to the Des Connor Room. Several flights of stairs and no lift make disabled access to this space difficult. Please consider the 2nd and 3rd floor spaces in Union House as lift accessible alternatives.
Other Rehearsal Spaces
Room 304 (20 people) and the Open Stage (30 people) at 757 Swanston St are available for rehearsals on weeknights from 6:15pm-9:30pm and on weekends 9am-5pm. You will need to use the front entrance to enter 757 Swanston St and use your student card to swipe in).
304 and the Open Stage are wheelchair accessible.
For further information, please contact 8344 6975 or email email@example.com
University Room Bookings
Need help booking a room? contact 8344 6975 or email firstname.lastname@example.org