Union House Theatre’s Rehearsal Room Policy
Who can book a rehearsal space?
- UHT Affiliated* Student Theatre Groups
Please note that we are working under strict regulations at the moment but will aim to open up additional bookings, and bookings for Clubs and Individuals again, as soon as possible.
* For details about how to affiliate see: Student Theatre Group Affiliation.
Affiliated Student Theatre Groups can book spaces up to three weeks ahead for 2 sessions per week.
Each room can only have 1 booking per day.
All bookings come under the Covidsafe Rehearsal Room Standard Operating Procedure and the UMSU Covid Safe Plan.
There will be regular spot checks conducted.
Any groups found to be not following Covidsafe procedures will forfeit the ability to book rehearsal spaces, effective immediately.
- No food or drink (except bottled water) is allowed.
- No tap shoes or stiletto heels as they damage the parquetry floor.
- As well as adhering to the Covidsafe Rehearsal Room Standard Operating Procedure, we request that all users leave the room tidy after use. Failure to do so can result in a ban on all future bookings.
- Please let us know if you find the room untidy
- The pianos are currently covered and are not available for use.
- You will need to bring your own portable bluetooth speaker if you require music.
- Entry to Building 757 is via the Swanston St entrance only – you will need to swipe in with your student card. If you have trouble accessing the room, call security on 8344 6666 or services on 8344 0888 and quote the booking numbers FCR0178617 and FCR0178618.
Room bookings are taken in good faith but may be subject to change. We endeavour to notify you by phone, 24 hours in advance if a booking has to be altered or cancelled.
Rehearsal rooms may not be used for commercial purposes. This means groups cannot charge their members for participation in classes. If this is discovered to be happening the group will be banned from all future bookings. Under no circumstances is the rehearsal room to be used to promote any external companies.
To access rehearsal spaces on the Resource Booker system you will first need to register using your University student username:
Once your registration has been processed, you will be able to login with your University student username and password:
If you require assistance finding an accessible space or making a booking, contact Erin at:
email@example.com or 8344 6975
See below for specific room accessibility notes.
Des Connor Room (capacity 20 people)
The Des Connor Room (top image) is a rehearsal room situated above the Union Theatre in Union House. The entrance is outside Union House, on the concrete lawn side (East side). Enter the double white doors and take the stairs to the top (pictured above).
The Des Connor Room is decently sized (6m x 13m), has a mirrored wall, parquetry floor suitable for dance and a piano. The studio is available to University of Melbourne students at no charge for rehearsals, readings and auditions.
We regret that there is no lift access to the Des Connor Room. Several flights of stairs and no lift make disabled access to this space difficult. Please consider the 2nd and 3rd floor spaces in Union House as lift accessible alternatives.
Des Connor booking hours are as follows:
- Tuesdays: 9am-6:30pm
- Fridays: 9am-6:30pm
Other Rehearsal Spaces
The 2nd-floor meeting rooms – Graham Cornish A (9 people) & B (13 people) and Joe Nap A (12 people) & B (11 people) – in Union House are also available for booking by Affiliated Student Theatre Groups. These are request-only spaces that require admin approval. Please make sure you apply during the times listed below so that your booking can be approved.
2nd floor room booking hours are as follows:
- Tuesdays: 4pm-6:30pm
- Fridays: 4pm-6:30pm
Room 304 (20 people) at 757 Swanston St is available for rehearsals on weeknights from 6:15pm-9:30pm and on weekends 9am-5pm. You will need to use the front entrance to enter 757 Swanston St and use your student card to swipe in).
304 is wheelchair accessible.
For further information, please contact 8344 6975 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
University Room Bookings
Need help booking a room? contact 8344 6975 or email email@example.com