Financial Counselling

The UMSU Legal Service also has a free financial counselling service for students who are struggling with debts, or who want more control over their financial situation.

A financial counsellor can provide advice on issues including:

  • Managing rent and accommodation expenses
  • Utility bills – gas, electricity, water
  • Phone and internet debts
  • Credit and store cards
  • Credit reports
  • Personal & car loans
  • Motor vehicle accident debts

To access the financial counselling service, please complete our online contact form here.

Further resources

National Debt Helpline

Ombudsman services

Some industries have ombudsmen that can assist you with dispute resolution. Ombudsmen are independent, impartial and provide a free service. They investigate complaints which have not been solved by the organisation complained against. Ombudsmen investigate complaints when something has been handled badly or unfairly, making someone suffer as a result. Before making a complaint to an ombudsman, you usually need to have tried to sort your issue out with the organisation directly.

For complaints about banks and financial institutions: Australian Financial Complaints Authority (incorporating the former Financial Ombudsman Service)

For complaints about telephone and internet providers: Telecommunications Industry Ombudsman

For complaints about gas, electricity and water providers: Energy and Water Ombudsman Victoria

Debt and financial information

ASIC’s MoneySmart

Dealing with debt collectors [PDF 1.08MB]

Victoria Legal Aid: Debt and financial issues