Migration and visas

The UMSU Legal Service does not provide legal advice on migration law. We recommend contacting the following services for assistance with visa and migration enquiries.

You can find information about student visas, and contact the student visa team at the university, here.

You can obtain advice about the impact of COVID-19 on temporary visas (including student visas) by calling the free legal service Refugee Legal on Tuesdays and Thursdays between 10am to 2pm, on 9413 0199 (you do not need to be a refugee to access this advice line).

For other visa and migration enquiries, you will need to contact a registered migration agent, who will charge for their services. You can find a registered migration agent on the website of the Office of the Migration Agents Registration Authority.

You can also use the Law Institute of Victoria’s Legal Referral Service to access an initial 30 minutes of free advice from a registered migration agent. You can find out more about this service here.


The information on this website is not legal advice. It is legal information only. If you require legal advice, please contact the UMSU Legal Service here.

Last updated: 29 April 2021