The Robert MacDonald MTC Professional Development Award
The Robert McDonald Award offers an outstanding student theatre maker the opportunity to work intensively at the Melbourne Theatre Company on one of their 2018 productions, gaining exposure to most aspects of the operation of a large state theatre company. The award commemorates the former Education Manager at the MTC. Robert was a dedicated member of the Melbourne Uni Theatre Board for many years, and a huge supporter of student theatre.
This award is for a student producer, stage manager or director who has demonstrated outstanding ability and commitment through their involvement in student theatre at Melbourne University. The Theatre Board acknowledges the potential of this student to develop a career path in the professional theatre industry.
This professional development award will take the form of a five-week secondment to a particular production in the Melbourne Theatre Company 2018 Subscription season. The student will liaise with MTC’s Head of Education and Families to decide on a mutually convenient production for this secondment. Depending on the student’s availability, they would spend between 20-40 hours each week assisting in production and administration areas of the Company.
This award would also include a double under 30’s subscription package for all plays in the MTC 2018 Subscription Season.
The student selected for this award will:
- have a serious and professional approach to their theatre practice
- be theatre-savvy, quick to learn, and able to work independently
- demonstrate maturity and leadership skills
- have well-developed communication skills, both written and verbal
- be willing to learn by watching and listening, as well as by doing
- be flexible – understanding the ‘bigger picture’ of the needs of the production
- be a team player who is happy to help out with the unglamorous jobs
Closing Date Monday 16th October 2017
To apply, please fill out the Robert Macdonald Award online form