A not-for-profit head start program for VCE students, held each year at the University of Melbourne since 1971.
What is the VCE Summer School?
The VCE Summer School (VCESS) is a two-week tutoring program that takes place in January and aims to help VCE students from a range of backgrounds gain a head start on their final years of secondary education. In January 2022, it will take place both online and on the University of Melbourne campus. See below for details.
The program has a particular focus on creating a healthy study-life balance and providing tutoring on a wide range of subjects. In fact, in previous years we have had tutors for each and every VCE subject students have taken, no matter how small the subject may be. Learn more about our academic and activities programs here.
How do I apply to enrol?
Applications to be a student for VCESS 2022 are open and will close on Monday 20 December. The application process has two parts: the first part is an application form for the program, and the second part will be a confirmation of enrolment which may require help from a parent or guardian. All instructions to complete the application will be provided at the beginning of the application form.
You can submit an application for VCESS 2022 here
When, where and how will the program be delivered in 2022?
VCESS 2022 will take place January 10th – 21st, with classes and events on Monday to Friday each week. There will be online and in-person components of the program, with all in-person elements at the Parkville campus of the University of Melbourne and meeting relevant COVID-safe guidelines.
We aim to accommodate students who are comfortable and excited to return to in-person learning and activities, as well as students unable to do so by January next year. Students attending the program in-person will have access to all online components of the program.
[You can read more about our hybrid program delivery here].
What if I’m a rural or regional-based student?
We have a VCESS residential program for students from rural or regional backgrounds who could not otherwise attend Melbourne-based program activities. Students in the residential program complete academic classes and events with day students, additional activities and workshops, and are provided with food and accommodation for the duration of the one week program. It’s a great opportunity to make friends from all across Victoria. [Learn more about our Residential Program here].
In 2022, VCESS residential students will complete a one week residential program. While in-person, students will stay at a university residential college with other students and 10 residential tutors. They will attend in-person academic and social activities. During the online week, students will complete classes and activities with the online cohort. Residential-program specific activities will be run in both weeks.
This arrangement has been chosen to manage COVID-safety and maximise the number of students able to engage with the program in 2022. Any rural or regional students unable to complete the full residential program are encouraged to apply to study in our online cohort.
How much does it cost to attend the program?
In 2022, VCESS will have a hybrid format with in-person and online elements. All students will take the same online classes, but in-person students will have events and activities on-campus with limited online equivalents. Students can apply to join the program in our in-person, online or residential cohorts, which will each have different prices and some different activities. Learn more here.
- For in-person students (online classes + in-person activities), the program cost is $190. This will cover all VCE classes, subject materials, activities, workshops and focus tutoring, with additional in-person activities such as a campus tour, tertiary study expo, seminars in a university lecture theatre, and in-person drop-in tutoring and social events.
- For online students (online classes + limited online activities), the program cost is $90. This will cover all VCE classes, subject materials, activities, workshops and focus tutoring, with all activities held online.
- For residential students (online classes + in-person and online activities + one week of accommodation), the program cost is $290. This will cover all VCE classes, subject materials, activities, workshops and focus tutoring, with additional in-person activities, residential program activities and one week of food and accommodation on campus.
You can learn about our scholarship and bursary program [here], or read more about our previous program pricing [here].
Where can I get more information?
If you’re a student interested in applying to the VCE Summer School you’ll be able to find all the info you need via the links below!
You can check out our handy FAQ, and contact us for support with any questions you may have. If you would like to chat with us over the phone, send us an email with your contact details and we will call you back at a convenient time. Please note that our phone line is usually unattended due to University of Melbourne COVID-safe restrictions.
“To all the team at VCESS, thank you for all you have done to offer our young people the chance to prepare so beautifully for this very tough VCE year. The effort and work you have all put in has been extraordinary. Our daughter has loved every minute of it, and felt nothing but supported. She now has a much better idea of what she will go on to study because of the amazing support the tutors have all given. From VCESS, we wanted our daughter to gain confidence and learn to manage the workload and stress of exams. She has he gained so much more – a belief in herself, a growth mindset about challenges and the awareness that there are kind people who selflessly help others and seek only to share their love of learning. This is the single most useful learning opportunity she has ever had. Each and every tutor instilled a new perspective, from helping her to understand her learning style preferences to seeing the big picture and life beyond year 12.Thanks you everyone for sharing your passion for learning and inspiring these up and coming learners. From the tutors, the union house managers, support crew and organisers – thanks for giving up your time and ‘paying it forward’. As a teacher myself, I can tell you that you have made a difference to these young people that will last for the rest of their lives. The things our daughter has come out with are testimony to the sound teaching she has experienced. You have had more impact than you realise, and are the best role models we could ever ask for.” – Parent of a 2016 VCESS Student
Here’s what some of our students had to say about what they loved most at VCESS:
- The tutors – they are inspiring, passionate, highly knowledgeable & overall just great people
- Amazing people & being helped in every way possible
- The feeling of community and being able to make friends in a strong learning environment.
- The hard-working, friendly, dedicated, awesome most badass tutors who sacrificed blood, sweat, tears and time for us!!
- I met so many great people through classes & activities. So making friends & learning were highlights for me. I loved everyone I met
- The tutors were excellent!!
- Getting to know a number of new people and experience what university life is like.
- Meeting new people and feeling more confident going back to school
- I liked the activities/workshops that break up classes
- I had a blast, thank you! I loved this program
- Really supportive and committed VCESS crew. Thanks
- Expectations exceeded, will be back next year.
- Thank you for an unforgettable experience
VCE Summer School welcomes any questions or queries you might have. Please note that due to current restrictions, the VCE Summer School’s phone number is generally unattended.
You can reach the program directors at firstname.lastname@example.org
Keep up to date with the latest from VCESS via our Facebook page, or message us directly via Facebook messenger .
VCE Summer School
Volunteering Hub, Ground Floor, Union House
The University of Melbourne