The UMSU Legal Service has been inundated with COVID-19 affected students needing to end their leases early. The calls for assistance are coming from students in both private residential and University accommodation.

Many of you are international or rural/interstate based domestic students who no longer need to attend face-to-face classes, have lost your casual work and with no way of supporting yourselves will need to leave (or have already left) Melbourne.

Many international students also understandably wish to return home to your families. When returning home, you might need to end your lease or accommodation contract early. This can be tricky — so please contact us and we can give you legal advice to try to minimise the impact that facing this situation might be having on you.

Many of you will have lost your income as jobs dry up and the economy reels from the impact of COVID-19. If you are experiencing any tenancy issues, please contact the UMSU Legal Service for free legal advice.

The UMSU Legal Service can help with a wide range of tenancy issues, including:

1. Negotiating a rent reduction with your landlord, and what to do if you cannot agree

2. Options for ending your lease

3. Eviction

You can contact the UMSU Legal Service by submitting the contact form on their website here

The information on this website is not legal advice. It is legal information only. If you require legal advice, please contact the UMSU Legal Service here.