Summer School Volunteer
2022-23 VCESS Director Applications OPEN NOW!
Applications for 2022-23 Program Directors are now open and will close Friday 6 May 2022 at 11:59pm. To find out more, view the position listing here.
What is VCE Summer School?
The VCE Summer School (VCESS) is a two-week tutoring program that takes place in January and aims to help VCE students from a range of backgrounds gain a head start on their final years of secondary education. Find out more here.
Other Positions Available
Everyone involved in the VCE Summer School is expected to be a Subject Tutor, but there are also a wide range of other roles for you to consider—have a look at the position descriptions in the link below!
VCESS wouldn’t exist without the help of our dedicated team of tutors. Here’s what they think of the program:
- “I always say this, and I do mean it. VCESS is the best program I have ever been part of! I’m so proud to say that I have helped give kids the head start I would have wanted for VCE” – Year 11 Biology tutor.
- “Having other tutors around all supporting each other created a good atmosphere, and most of the students were enthusiastic and excited to learn. The personal pride and joy from seeing students come to a realisation when all the material in lessons were tied together and knowing that my tutoring was what got them to that realisation was amazing and gave a sense of doing something useful and worthwhile. And knowing that at the same time you were making a difference to disadvantaged students that need the extra help and time to get to the same level as the average student made the experience particularly rewarding and enjoyable” – Year 12 Biology tutor.
- “A rewarding and enjoyable experience and I would happily be involved in this capacity again” – Year 12 Mathematical Methods tutor
- “The best aspects of VCESS were the friendships formed over two weeks, the support provided by all of the directors, the professional nature of the program and the organised timetables. The Zine was fantastic” – Year 12 English tutor.
- “The community feeling of the tutors (and I’m sure the students felt this as well amongst the student cohort) – united for one purpose, a desire to help others and volunteer time to do it. The general atmosphere; of being excited for university or other future pathways” – Year 12 German tutor.
- “Meeting great, genuine people. Everyone at VCESS itself was so supportive and friendly and helpful in every way and it made for a brilliant 2 weeks. Students got really involved in the activities, one on one tutoring and classes and that was great to see” – Year 12 Biology tutor.
- “I had an amazing time and every student I taught said the same!” – Year 12 Chemistry tutor.
- “The quality and type of teaching and interaction with the students demonstrated by most the tutors. Rather than just giving them information, tutors made it relevant and made themselves available for one-on-one tutoring to explain something further if needed. This one-on-one tutoring was taken up frequently and is a credit to the way that the tutors made their students comfortable enough to approach them for more help.” – Year 11 English tutor.
- “The atmosphere and the students’ excitement during the program is unparalleled” – Year 12 English tutor.
- “This year was my first VCESS, but I know it won’t be my last. It’s a wonderful program!” – Year 12 Physical Education tutor.
- “My first time with the program has been so much fun and so rewarding!” – Year 12 Studio Art tutor.