Working with your Lawyer
Below are some tips to help you when contacting the UMSU Legal Service.
Before the first telephone call
- Write down the details of the legal problem: what happened, when it happened, and who was there.
- Gather together any documents that may be relevant to your legal matter.
- Write down the questions you want to ask the lawyer.
- Write down the outcome you hope to achieve in your matter.
During the first telephone call
- Take notes of what is said to you.
- Respond clearly to the questions the lawyer asks you.
- Ask the lawyer questions if you do not understand something or want to know what you need to do.
- Ask the lawyer to explain any legal terms that you do not understand.
- Ask the lawyer what options there are to deal with your legal matter.
- Ask the lawyer what happens next and how long it may take to deal with your legal matter.