Police and your rights


If you are not under arrest the only information you have to provide the police is your name and address if they ask. Police can only search you in a public place without a warrant if they have reasonable suspicion that you have committed a crime OR if you give consent.

If you are stopped by police for a public search, you have the right to ask:

“What is your reason for searching me?”

And to state

“I do not consent to this search.”

The UMSU Legal Service provides legal assistance on minor criminal law matters, including fines/infringements and summary criminal offences. 

You can find information about police powers and your rights on the Victoria Legal Aid website here